Thursday, 28 February 2013

I Want a Slice of Pi

After my initial research into the Pi and its uses earlier this week, I had a meeting with my supervisor. He thinks I should definitely pursue my interest in a robot build, but stick with the Pi. So here's my loose project title idea:

'Is it Possible to Use a Raspberry Pi to Program a Robot?'

I know, I know, seems a bit....nnnnh.
I realise that the question seems very obvious at this point. I know it is possible to program a robot with a Raspberry Pi. When designed, I assume that was one of the potential uses the creators has envisioned.

But, more importantly, my EPQ is carried out by me, myself and I. My title really means, 'Is it Possible for Me to Use a Raspberry Pi to Program a Robot?' Because this will be my introduction into robotics; I am an ABSOLUTE NOVICE. I have no experience with circuit boards, programming, robots, electronics - zilch.

Also worth noting, my initial title will not be my final project title. It is normally common for students to tweak and refine their titles as they delve deeper into their topic and decide to follow a specific tangent or specify in a certain area. I will most likely being specifying what purpose I want my robot to have.

My supervisor was brainstorming and suggested a robot that guided a blind person around their home. I'm not sure at this point whether this would be using colour/touch sensors, or by programming certain patterns of movement. Regardless, this did raise the question: what will I be programming my robot to do? I'd rather it have a useful application than it just be moving around an obstacle course, although that would be great fun designing and testing!

To conclude all these ideas and thoughts, I need to buy myself a Raspberry Pi (still deciding on whether Model A or B!) and familiarise myself with how it works, how to connect it to other devices and then start learning some code. I think the code most commonly used with the Pi is called Python but I need to get a hang of the jargon on the forums first!

I'll update this when I purchase my Pi. I'm so excited!

LED Matrix Display by adafruit.com programmed with Pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment