Friday, 1 March 2013

Do I buy a kit? Or do I put together my own...?

I'm planning on purchasing my Pi this weekend, provided everything goes to plan. I'm not sure whether to order one from the original distributors, Farnell, only because the Pi website recommend them, or whether to buy a kit off Amazon or elsewhere.

I'm trying to find out what exactly I'll need to get started. The Raspberry Pi itself is not enough to really do anything, so I've found a list of 'necessary' additional items to purchase as well (necessary used here in the loosest way possible, mind):

- One SD card
- An SD card reader so you can write the OS image to your SD card
- A means of supplying power to the unit (an old phone charger will do). At the very least, you'll need a 5V micro-USB adaptor.
- An HDMI cable and HDMI-to-DVI converter if you're using a monitor instead of a HD TV. If you're just using a TV or a monitor that supports HDMI, you won't need an adapter.
- A USB mouse and keyboard
- An Ethernet cable

This list was found on engadget.com

With regards to the SD card, you can buy cards with the Raspbian OS loaded on already, so I think that's the best plan. But the mouse and keyboard... I'm not sure they are a priority; I have keyboards and a USB mini-mouse hanging about at home already, so if needed, I'm sure they'll do the job. I also own HDMI cables for things like Blu-Ray players and our PS3. HOWEVER, I definitely need a means of providing power so that needs looking into.

Maplin sells a Starter Kit for £74.99. A bit more money than I was intending on spending initially, but if I'm sure everything included will be of use, I am very tempted. It includes:

 AC-powered 4-port USB hub (useful)
▪ USB keyboard and optical mouse (already own)
 2.1A twin USB mains power supply (nice)
▪ 1.5m gold-plated USB A to micro B cable to power Pi
▪ 1.5m gold-plated HDMI cable (already own)
▪ N150 Nano W-Fi dongle for wireless connectivity! (I like this a lot)

And finally, good old Amazon, a handy little set (with Model B Pi) for just £52.50 (so far the most convincing):

▪ PCSL Power Supply
▪ HDMI Cable (already own)
▪ PCSL Special Edition Raspberry Network Cable
 8GB SDHC with Wheezy
▪ PCSL Special Edition Cherry/Clear Case

^ the HDMI will be an unnecessary purchase, and I would ideally like a Wi-Fi dongle, but the Model B Pi plus all of that is very reasonable! Now for a very long think...

Sites used: http://www.maplin.co.uk/raspberry-pi-board-and-starter-kit-652805
                 Amazon Starter Kit link
                http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/04/raspberry-pi-getting-started-guide-how-to/

No comments:

Post a Comment