I decided to purchase Maplin's Pi kit a few weeks before Easter, and I'm glad I did. Along with the Raspberry Pi User Guide and a rainbow Pibow, I spent around £100, but what I will end up gaining will be worth that 'empty wallet' feeling.
I possibly may have also bought a TV screen to use as the monitor! The old computer monitor I had planned to use didn't have the correct ports.
Oh dear, the costs......
It's the LOGIK HD Ready 19" LED TV: good size, has HDMI and USB ports and was only £89.99 as it was on offer at Currys (and still is). On the plus side, I now have a TV in my room, and it's so lightweight that I'm planning on taking it to uni with me, but until then it is my Raspberry Pi monitor.
I used the USB hub to connect my mouse, keyboard and WiFi dongle to the Pi. I connected the monitor to the Pi's HDMI port and turned on the Pi with the power supply provided in the starter kit.
Up until I had physically bought the Pi, I had been having difficulty describing how the Pi works to my curious friends and family. I explained it was essentially a small computer. THAT led to all sorts of confusion and debate. So in order to show them just how like a computer the Pi can be (because it is actually a computer), my first port of call was Facebook. These photos seemed to convince them.
| N.B. This is not the monitor I now use, in this photo I was having to make do with the TV in my kitchen. |
I then discovered the computer games written in Python that were preloaded onto the Pi. I will admit I had a good half an hour playing this...
Resources used: Raspberry Pi User Guide, Maplin Quick Start-Up Guide
No comments:
Post a Comment